Oxy fuel welding and its applications
About oxy fuel welding
Oxy fuel welding is a process that makes use of oxygen and fuel gases to weld metals. This kind of welding is commonly called as oxy acetylene welding or gas welding in the U.S. In this process, flame is applied to heat the steel to a higher temperature and at the time pure oxygen is applied in a continuous stream and it will create the needed weld. This is a best example of how two elements are combined to form a whole new product. Take for instance, when pure oxygen and steel are mixed at a higher temperature, iron oxide will be produced. Remember, this method is used to cut only certain metals. For oxy fuel welding, oxides must have a lower melting point than the base metal. Certain metals cannot be cut using this method, but it forms a protective crust over the surface.
Essential requirements for oxy fuel welding
In oxy fuel welding process, a gaseous substance is required to use with the preheat flame and in most of the cases, acetylene is used. Rarely used gases are natural gas, propane, hydrogen, liquefied petroleum gas, methyl acetylene and propylene.
Cutting torch is the second important requirement and this is quite different from the normal welding torch. This torch comes with three pipes and its height extends to the actual length of the torch. The torch is connected with a trigger and that applies oxygen to the surface when pulled.
Oxy welding process makes use of an injector torch too. This torch is also called as equal pressure torch and it combines the gas and oxygen together in the head portion of the torch. Slowly oxygen will come up and it pulls the gas along with it. This effect is called as venture effect.
Why is oxy welding process mostly used?
- The process is quite versatile
- Used to weld most of the metals
- Used as a cutting torch or brazing torch to heat metals in order to form and bend them
- Cost of the equipment is very low
- Regulates the flame temperature by correcting the gas flow.
Applications of oxy fuel welding
Oxy fuel welding is practically used in many fields and listed here are some important applications:
- To join thinner metals, this process is greatly used
- To join ferrous and non-ferrous metals, alloy steels, carbon steels, aluminum and its alloys, copper and its alloys, cast iron, magnesium, nickel etc.
- To join metallic substances in aircraft and automotive industries
- To merge metals in sheet metal fabrication plants
- To fuse materials together that require slow rate of cooling and heating
Not only is welding restricted to oxy welding alone, but also, there are numerous welding methods from simple welding to high quality laser beam welding. Have in mind that, welding process should be carried out by trained and best welders in USA to accomplish the process right and safe. By getting clear insights about welding, you will be capable of choosing the right welding machine, best welders in USA, welding accessories supplier USA etc.